On this page, explore a variety of tech resources available to EOP students that can help alleviate the costs and stress of technology access at UC Berkeley. Also check out our tips for Black students, graduate students, new students, soon-to-graduate students, and students with disabilities if applicable.
Device Discounts & Lending Programs
For On and Off Campus Students
Free & Low-Cost Tech Resources
For On and Off Campus Students
Student Discounts on Device Purchases
Don’t pay the full price on new devices! Make sure to take advantage of student discounts from major retailers like Microsoft, Apple, and Dell when making device purchases.
Library Technology Lending Program
The Library lending program is available to registered UC Berkeley students including:
- Short-term loans of Dell Latitude, Lenovo ThinkPads and MacBook Airs from 4 hours to 14 days
- Short-term loans of accessories, such as adapters, chargers, headphones, projectors and more
Additionally, students enrolled in Foundations of Data Science (CS / Info / Statistics C8) or connector courses at Berkeley can borrow Chromebooks from the Library for the entire semester. Visit Berkeley Data Science for more information.
This page was last updated 8/8/2022
Laptop & Other Hardware Lending
The Student Technology Equity Program (STEP) lends laptops and other hardware to students with financial and covid-related need. Learn more about the program and apply here.
iClicker Lending Program
EOP students can apply for a one-semester loan of physical iClickers through STEP. To apply, complete this application. To return your iClicker, schedule an appointment.
- About the iClicker lending program: contact firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) or schedule a Zoom appointment(link is external)
- About your iClicker not working properly: contact the Student Helpdesk in-person, by phone or via email
Printing & Scanning
On & Off Campus Students
- Check to see if your local public library offers free printing services. You can also scan documents with your phone by using the Notes app for iOS or with the CamScanner app for iOS and Android.
On Campus Only
- Print at over 20 locations on campus for a low-cost fee.
- Print and scan for free at the Open Computing Facility in the MLK Student Union building, which also offers a drop-in computer lab, web and email hosting, and more for students! Learn more about their services here(link is external).
Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and many other popular software programs are free for students to download through Software Central. Check your eligibility and download software here.
Free Student Apps
The following student apps are helpful to have on your phone or tablet!
- Canvas Student: access your course documents, grades, and other bCourses materials easily. Download for iOS and Android.
- UC Berkeley Mobile: access campus maps, directories, news, the Arts Passport and more! Download for iOS and Android.
Explore Your Professional & Creative Interests
- Moffitt Makerspace: a free, open access, student-run makerspace on the first floor of Moffitt library giving students the opportunity to work with new technologies like 3D printing, Virtual Reality, and more (including educational workshops for beginners!)
- Check out the other makerspaces on campus here by clicking on the 'Makerspaces' tab.