Before You Move-In
How does internet and TV service work at UVA?
When you move in, your internet will already be activated. You can access WiFi through the campus wifi network (eduroam) or get a wired connection through the Aruba access point (AP) in your apartment, which also includes four wired ports for additional devices. We strongly discourage the user of personal wireless routers as they cause interference for other users and degrade network connectivity.
To connect any device (including ethernet adapters) through the wired ports, you need to register each device at socreg.berkeley.edu.
If you do choose to install a personal wireless router, please be advised there is no guarantee that it will work successfully on the UVA network. Modems, modem/router combos, and mesh routers are incompatible with the network at UVA.
TV Service at UVA
What is IPTV service? How is it different from cable or satellite?
Internet Protocol TV Streaming (IPTV) provides online streaming of live TV, HBO, HBO Max, Peacock, and On Demand programming using your CalNet credentials. It is only available to students with an active housing contract. See also What can I watch on-campus vs. off-campus?
Getting started is easy:
- Download XFINITY Stream app or visit xfinityoncampus.com.
- Select "sign in here" for Xfinity On Campus students (only required for Stream app).
- Enter University of California, Berkeley in the search field.
- Log in using your CalNet credentials.
What devices can I use to watch IPTV?
- Smart TV that supports the Xfinity TV app
- Here is how you can get started with a smart TV: https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/223246068-SMART-TVs(link is external)\
- a TV with a device that could download the Xfinity TV app, such as a roku
- Here is a list of support Roku† devices: https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004909567-For-Roku(link is external)
*Please note that students can only connect one device at a time. In other words, multiple devices cannot be used simultaneously. Xfinity on Campus is not reachable from CalVisitor (because CalVisitor does not allow TCP port 8443 which is used by Comcast's authentication process).
† Roku devices are incompatible with the campus Wi-Fi network because Roku does not support WPA2-Enterprise; however, they can be used with a personal router (see above).
Can I use TV Everywhere apps?
TV Everywhere apps are only usable when the student has the channel on their account. They can only use TV everywhere with the network's app specifically. If they want to use the Xfinity Stream app, they will need to purchase a Roku device. For more information, see What is TV Everywhere? https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/222798247-What-is-TV-Everywhere-(link is external)
How do I get help?
Contact the Village Office at 510-526-8505. Students can also contact Xfinity technical support by logging into their Xfinity On Campus account and filling out a support ticket.
While personal routers are currently permitted at University Village, we strongly discourage using them as they cause interference for other users and degrade network connectivity. In addition, please note that we cannot guarantee that personal routers will successfully achieve connectivity. However, if you choose to bring one:
- Avoid modems, router/modem combos, and mesh routers as they are incompatible with the UVA network.
- Bring ethernet cables, ideally 50-100 ft cables for the greatest flexibility. Gaffer tape may also be useful to secure the cables to the floor to minimize tripping hazards. The Recreation Office inside the Community Center also offers a limited supply of free, basic ethernet cables (usually ~4ft in length).
- Bring ethernet adaptors if your laptop does not have a port for wired ethernet connections. The Recreation Office inside the Community Center also offers a limited supply of free USB-A and USB-C adaptors.
If you want to watch IPTV service on a television and not just a computer or mobile device, make sure your TV can download the Xfinity TV app or purchase a Roku or similar device that can. This will also require the use of a personal router, as SmartTVs cannot connect via the Wi-Fi network at UVA.
Contact our friendly and knowledgeable Student Helpdesk for assistance with device registration, connecting to Wi-Fi and other technology questions.
Students can reach out to Xfinity On Campus by logging into their Xfinity On Campus account and filling out a support ticket.